Corning Incorporated Finishing Engineering Manager in Shanghai, China
Finishing Engineering Manager
Date: Apr 16, 2018
Location: Shanghai, China, CN
Req #: 30543
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Assess finishing (cutting, grinding, lapping, polishing, CNC, cleaning and other) properties of new glass and glass ceramic compositions
• Develop instrumental testing methods to assess glass finishing performance and working with glass scientists link it to fundamentals of glass structure
• Work closely with engineering and commercial teams to document the learning and transfer to manufacturing
• Participate in cross-functional teams to drive development of new and unique finishing processes and development of product prototypes • Provide technical consultation to help trouble shoot technical problems associated with glass finishing, as needed, using first principle science
• Provide direction, support and guidance to finishing engineering team to ensure manufacturing capability and product delivery.
• Drive continuous improvements activities within a program to deliver improved process capabilities, delivery, quality and cost.
• Provide supervision for the finishing engineering resources in support of site’s objectives and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Coach, mentor and develop finishing engineers and promote the engineering and process improvement methods, techniques, and tools.
• Apply an understanding of engineering principles to implement new control and process technologies and integrate technologies to the manufacturing environment.
• Work closely with Development team to develop and prove feasibility on stage2 product/process/capabilities to stage 3; and scale product/process/capabilities to stage 4 and transfer to Manufacturing.
• Work with manager to identify capability improvement areas for each program and product application. Drive capability improvement projects after gaining alignment with manager.
• Support step change cost reduction, quality improvement, and spec tightening efforts.
• Manage capital and project expenses within the finishing group or within the program/project responsibilities.
• This position works closely with program manager, supply chain, contract manufacturer, operations management, functional leaders, engineers, and commercial organization to establish work priorities and work assignments for improved program/project efficiency.
• 30% travel may be required – domestic and internationally within Asia Project involved with: Augment Reality, High Purity Fused Silica,
Employee Referral Level 3