RELX Group (Snr) Sales Director in Beijing, China
(Snr) Sales Director
Location: Beijing, China
Elsevier is part of the Reed Elsevier Group plc., which is a world leading provider of professional information solutions in science and health, legal, risk management, and business to business sectors.
As the world’s leading provider of science and health information, Elsevier serves more than 30 million scientists, students and health and information professionals worldwide. A global company headquartered in Amsterdam, employing more than 7000 people in 24 countries, we help customers advance science and health by providing world-class information and innovative tools that help them make critical decisions, enhance productivity and improve outcomes.
Our working culture is highly respectful, stimulating and diverse; enabling bright, passionate people to do their best work. We offer challenging but realistic objectives, recognition for achievement, and the opportunity to challenge the status quo. We're a truly global company, working across geographies everyday with our people sharing a passion for health and science. Our people are pragmatic, commercial, work collaboratively and are excellent relationship builders. We offer an opportunity to make a difference in people's lives by helping the health and science communities find and use trusted, high-quality information.
Learning is at the heart of everything we do and our people take their development and progress seriously, as do we. Because of our global reach, opportunities are available locally and globally and our breadth of opportunity offers the chance to build a varied career across different functions and divisions. You will have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technological development and to contribute to change. People with the right attitude have the chance to contribute far beyond their role.
Purpose of the Job
The Country Sales Director is expected to lead a 20+person team and be responsible for a fast growing business in China and HK about US$100M. The Sales Director will need to make sure the results are optimal and need to be the unifying force, bringing members of the sales team together, working across teams in the APAC and global vertical groups.
Key Result Areas Main Activities and Responsibilities
Achieve revenue and growth objectives
• Develop sales strategy and plan to win new business, gain market share, retain and improve on existing business
• Be accountable for the business’ top line revenue growth and profitability margins
• Evolve the strategy to ensure the company has effective process for looking into the future and making sound decisions about markets, products, customers, suppliers and partners
• Is responsible for revenue budgeting and forecasting through active pipeline management and reporting
• Strategize and lead major contract negotiations
Representative of Elsevier
• Represents the company as the external face and spokesperson to government & regulatory bodies, press & media, and partners
• Establish and market the company’s image as an ethical, professional, world class and leading company
• Build strong and high profile relationships and networks with key customers to deepen our understanding of user and customer needs in order to meet these needs and facilitate sales outcomes.
Operational Effectiveness• Put in systems, process and tools that improve sales performance, productivity and customer respond speed
• Be the key point person in China to liaise with various vertical teams and support functions in the region and globally.
• Be in charge of overseeing and coordinating activities within China to ensure the whole office work as a cohesive unit
People Manangement• Create a positive team culture, build trust and collaboration among team memebers
• Enable effective delegation and development of staff (right skill set, talent review, succession planning)
• Enable key performance measures (PDP) to ensure that the goals of the business unit are achieved
• Build and groom a high performance sales and marketing team
Functional and Technical Competencies
•Disciplined, well-organized & sets high standards of delivery
• Drive for results
• Coaching skills
• Strategic thinking
• Influencing & Negotiation skills
• Networking at a very senior level
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences (and any other requirements)
• At least over15 years experience in Sales, Marketing, Product & Business Development capacities in a multinational company
• Ability to manage complex businesses with a strong execution focus in a highly matrixed environment
• Experience in leading a sizable team, with a proven track record in driving sales performance as well as people development
• Expert knowledge of China market with experience selling into Enterprise, Corporate, Education and Government sectors
• Familiar with selling content, license, products and services
• A quick learner and is curious to continuously learn and improve
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Mandarin